Monday, October 27, 2014

All Moms Need to Do is Love


"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love."
1 Corinthians 13:13
 
 
* This post was originally part of a 31 Day Writing Challenge--31 Fears to Conquer Through Faith
DAY 27:  Fear of Being a Bad Mom
 
 






I hate my feet.  Why oh why couldn't I have gotten my mom's cute little feet?  Nope.  I had to get my dad's chunky toes, very wide, Barney Rubble feet. 
 
Oh well, thank God, though, that I did get my mom's compassionate heart, her ability to genuinely love others just where they're at, her sensitive spirit, and more.  Was she a perfect mom?  No.  Did she make mistakes?  Yes.  Do I focus on those mistakes?  No.  I just love her. 
 
I love her not because of any traits she gave me or didn't.  I love her not because she was the perfect mom.  I love her not because she never seemed to lose her temper.  I love her not because she bought me anything or didn't.  I love her not because she spent a lot of time with me or didn't.  I love her simply because she is my mom.  I love her...period.  And I know she loves me...period.
 
 
So why do I worry so much about being a bad mom?  Why do I worry that my kids will only remember the moments when I yell at them?  Why do I worry that my kids will only see my flaws?  Why do I worry that they will only get my bad traits and blame me for them later?  (Hopefully they won't get my stubbornness or my feet.)  :-)  Why do I worry that they will only remember me by how frustrated I get at them? 
 


 
 
Here's the truth.  My job as their mom is to love them no matter what...to love them unconditionally...to love them the way that they need to be loved.  Even when I make mistakes...love them and apologize.  Even when I yell...love them and ask forgiveness.  Even when I get frustrated at them...love them and show them that no one is perfect.  Even when I feel that all my flaws are coming out all at once.  Love them and teach them to give grace.  Even when I'm busy and don't have a lot of time for them.  Love them and make time when I can. 
 
Simply put...all I can do, just as my mom did for me, is love them. 
 
I can't spend time worrying about being a bad mom.  I don't even have time to write this blog most days.  I don't even have time to go to the bathroom by myself.  But I always have time to make sure my kids know that I love them, and that's what I pray they remember the most! 
 
LOVE!
 
Are you ready to let go of your fears of being a bad mom?  Are you ready to ask God to fill your heart with love?
PRAY WITH ME:
Lord, today, I give my fears of being a bad mom to You.  Lord, I know that I will make mistakes.  I know that I will never be a perfect mom, but I do know that you will use my mistakes and my imperfections to teach my kids about Your love, grace and mercy.  Lord, teach me that every day is a new day to start over with love.  Show me how to love each of my kids the way that they need to feel loved.  Lord, shine Your light into my fear of being a bad mom and fill me with faith that You love my children even more than I do.  Help me to walk forward in confidence knowing that, at the very least, my kids will always feel loved.  In Jesus' name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment