Friday, October 17, 2014

Day 17: Fear of Disappointment--Too Afraid to Pray

 
 "We live by faith, not by sight."
2 Corinthians 5:7
 
 
Day 17:  Fear of Disappointment
 
Have you ever been too afraid to pray?  I have. 
 
I've been too afraid to pray before because I was fearful of disappointment.  I would come up with a lot of excuses to try to avoid being disappointed. 

What if God doesn't do what I'm asking Him to do?  What if nothing changes? 

What if I don't get healed or helped or changed?  What if all that happens is that I end up feeling hurt?
 
What if I'm bothering Him?  What if He has better things to do than to worry about what I need?

What if I wait and I wait and I wait and nothing happens, and all I end up feeling is incredibly disappointed? 

I've asked myself all of these questions at one point in my life.  You may have too.  Many times that fear of disappointment caused me to shy away from praying--to shy away from seeking God.  You may have too. 

I've realized that God wants us to pray.  He wants us to share our needs and desires.  He wants us to have a close relationship with Him.  So, by not praying out of fear, I was cutting myself off from all of the blessings that God was waiting to give to me. 

And so I learned to pray.  Pray for everything.  God cares about me, and He cares about you too.

So just pray!  Don't be afraid of disappointment.  Just pray...seek God's wisdom...trust God's Will...have faith in God's perfect timing...and fill your heart with His Word.  That's all I can do.  And that's all you can do too. 

Are you ready to pray through your fears of disappointment with His Mighty Word.  Let's go!

PRAY WITH ME:
Father, today, I give my fear of disappointment to You.  I ask that when these questions of doubt creep into my mind that You speak Your truth and love into my heart. 

When I think-what if God doesn't do what I'm asking Him to do?

Remind me to KEEP ASKING.
Matthew 7:7 says:   "Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you."
 

When I think--what if nothing changes? 
 
Remind me to BE COURAGEOUS AND WAIT.
Psalm 27:13 says:  "Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!"




When I think-what if I don't get healed or helped or changed? 

Remind me to HOPE AND WAIT.
Psalm 33: 20-22 says:  "Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in you."



When I think-what if all that happens is that I end up feeling hurt? 
 
Say to me DON'T WORRY.  HAVE PEACE.
Philippians 4:6-7 says:  "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."

When I think-what if I'm bothering Him? 
 
Say to me YOU'RE NEVER A BOTHER.  SEEK ME CONTINUALLY.
1 Chronicles 16:11 says:  "Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually."



When I think-what if He has better things to do than to worry about what I need?

Say to me I KNOW YOUR EVERY HAIR--YOU ARE VALUABLE TO ME!
Luke 12:7 says:  "And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."



When I think-what if I wait and I wait and I wait and nothing happens and all I end up feeling is disappointed? 

Say to me HAVE FAITH.  I AM ALWAYS WORKING EVEN WHEN YOU CAN'T SEE IT.
2 Corinthians 5:7 says:  "We live by faith, not by sight."



Lord, use these scriptures to shine Your light into my fears of disappointment when I pray, and help me to walk boldly forward approaching each new day with a new kind of faith waiting on Your goodness.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.
 





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment