Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Most Embarrassing Thing to Happen On Your Honeymoon



The Dreaded Day 3...
It was Day 3 of our honeymoon...dun...dun...dun...a day I will never forget...a day I learned what marriage was really about. 

It was just three days after our big wedding, our "I Do's", our commitment to spend the rest of our lives together...for better or worse...in sickness and in health. 


My husband had no idea how quickly I would bank on those vows!


We were having a blast--splashing in the pool, walking along the beach, watching the sunset, riding a giant bike in the ocean, seeing each other at our best--our sexiest outfits, our best moods, our most fun and adventurous spirits. 

 
 
 


On Day 3, that all changed...

The night before, we dined at a gorgeous beach side restaurant.  We ate.  We drank wine--all while gazing into each other's eyes as the waves crashed on the shore nearby.  It was so romantic.  However, the next morning...Day 3...I awoke to a gurgling stomach...churning...aching...I knew that something was going to come out somewhere.  It was just a matter of time.  NOOOOOOOOOO!  Not on my honeymoon. 

I wanted to hide my pain.  I wanted to pretend all was well so we could go snorkeling and continue being flirty and sexy and enjoying our fairy tale of love and romance and happiness and fun. 


I was about to ruin it all with a reality check of "the runs."
 
I couldn't hide it any longer.  I had to tell my husband of 3 days that I had the stomach bug.  Every 20 minutes throughout the entire morning, I was running to the bathroom and then crawling back to bed.  My sexy new spouse was right there.  He was getting me sips of water.  He was dabbing my sweaty head with a cool wash rag.  He sat in a chair next to the bed as I groaned and complained...helping me...encouraging me...being there for me. 

But wait...it gets worse...


As the trips to the bathroom started winding down, all my strength and energy and modesty were gone.  I simply quit putting my clothes back on.  I quit caring that we were on our honeymoon.  I quit caring that I was pooping every 20 minutes in our Honeymoon Suite right in front of my new forever man.  I quit caring that I was a mess.  I flopped over onto the bed falling face first into the pillows, and I hear my husband of less than 72 hour's voice whisper to me...."Honey, you have some poop on your butt." 

And I thought I couldn't feel worse.  I didn't care though.  I couldn't move.  I just wanted to die of pain and now embarrassment.  I was just lying there...hot...sweaty...stinky...naked...with poop on my sun-kissed butt. 

Without saying another word, my brand new mate for life went into the bathroom, grabbed some toilet paper, came and sat next to me on the bed, and...wiped my butt.  Yes, he wiped my butt. 


This moment will forever be known as our "Welcome to Marriage Moment"! 

I was mortified, but at the same time, I was given a gift.  A gift to see that my husband was going to be there for me no matter what.  That he was going to be someone I could laugh with, have romantic dinners with, walk on the beach with, and enjoy the good times with, but he was also going to be someone who would stay by my side when I was at my worst.  And that's what matters most in life...in marriage.


Marriage isn't just about the good stuff...it's about being able to handle the bad stuff too. 

It's not just about the laughs and the fun...it's about the tears and the hardships too.  It's about being there for one another, supporting one other, encouraging one another, helping one another, caring for one another...in sickness and in health.  It's about loving and laughing and making the best out of every situation. 

We laughed so hard today as we reflected on Day 3 of our honeymoon, and as we celebrate 15 years of marriage together, we see how much Day 3 prepared us (especially my husband) for what was to come.  He has seen me even more vulnerable…at my most disgusting...at my very, very, very worst.  He has been there for the birth via C-Section of our three children, and even had to ask the doctors to put the sheet back up in the Operating Room after they lowered it for him to see our third child.  (He said he saw way too much of me and still can't get that image out of his head.)  He has been there for countless stomach bugs, flu bugs, cold bugs and even depression bugs.  

He's been there--by my side--through it all. 


It hasn't been easy.  We've even been near divorce, but I'm so thankful that we both have been able to move forward, press on, and persevere through some really rough times, tough conversations, and painful moments.  We have both grown and allowed God to shape us into the individuals that we are today.  Through our struggles, we've gained strength, wisdom, trust, and confidence in ourselves and in each other.  Our marriage stronger now than it's ever been. 
15 Years Ago Today--July 8, 2000


And now, on Day 5,475 of our marriage, the honeymoon is well over, but we continue to celebrate those moments throughout our lives that have brought us closer together...more committed to one another...forever...best friends...by each other's side...no matter what comes our way...poop on our butts and all!


What was your "Welcome to Marriage Moment"?


Lord, thank You for the blessing of marriage.  Bring us closer together with each struggle.  Bring us closer together with each joy.  Continue to shine Your light into our circumstances so that we can continue to grow together and love each other no matter what!  In Jesus' name.  Amen. 
 


Happy 15 Year Anniversary, Brad!  I love you!

THIS BLOG IS ENDING.  FOLLOW ME AT MY NEW 4REAL MOMS BLOG "BLESSED IN THE MESS": CLICK HERE.

8 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD this made me laugh out loud. What a funny and memorable story (how could one ever forget???). Still laughing...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. It really is a great story. One that my husband and I had a blast talking about 15 years later!
      Blessings-
      Christine

      Delete
  2. I tried to leave a comment yesterday, but I was on my phone and it didn't post :( Anyway, I can't imagine how awful that was at the time, but now you can look back and laugh and be encouraged by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, honestly, we laughed so hard together when I was reading this post to him. It was hilarious to recount. He's such a great guy and marriage really is such a bond of unconditional love and giving!
      Blessings-
      Christine

      Delete
  3. Oh wow. This is so similar to our "Welcome to marriage" moment! On Day 3 of our honeymoon, I had the runs and got severely dehydrated, so when we went out to sight-see later that day, I almost fainted in the town's tourism office. They rushed me to their private bathroom, and I sat there in total humiliation, trying not to pass out on the throne. My husband was so concerned and wanted to take the best care of me, since he was now responsible for my welfare. He was incredibly patient and loving, a foretaste of his love over the five years to come. And yes, now we look back and laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! That is too funny and truly embarrassing! How crazy that it happened on Day 3 as well! How wonderful that you were also able to catch a glimpse of your husband's patience and love in times of need! I love stories like this that you can look back on and laugh together especially knowing how much more that he's done for me since that moment in time!
      Blessings-
      Christine

      Delete