Sunday, July 22, 2012

Apples of Forgiveness

“And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God also in Christ forgave you.”  -Ephesians 4:32

~I reached over to grab a few more animal crackers, and all I felt was fur!  I was playing with my six month old, Ben, who wasn’t yet crawling.  We were just sitting on the floor with some toys.  I was snacking on some animal crackers that I had in a tub next to me.  When I went to grab some more, I realized that our dog’s entire head was stuffed into the container.  I yelled at him.  “Rugby, NO!”  Rugby was an eleven year old miniature schnauzer we had adopted only a year before.  He was so sweet and sensitive, and he normally didn’t give me any reason to be upset at him, but those animal crackers were organic and from Trader Joe’s which was two hours away! I could tell he felt terrible.  His head, tail and ears were down, and he came over to me in a very apologetic way.  I pet him and forgave him, but he seemed to still be sad that he had made me angry.   I didn’t realize how badly he felt until later that night.   My husband, Brad, let Rugby outside for the last time before bed.  When Rugby came back inside, he dropped something on the floor in the family room.  It was an apple.  He brought me an apple from the apple tree outside--obviously one that had fallen to the ground, but how precious? Perhaps he had noticed that I ate an apple with my lunch nearly every day.    He had never brought in an apple before that moment and he didn’t bring one in after that either.
 
~What a thoughtful gesture for Rugby to do to apologize for taking my animal crackers.  That seems to be the only logical explanation for why he brought me that apple.  He wanted to make peace with me, and he asked for forgiveness the only way he knew how.  Is there someone in your life right now that you might need to bring an apple to?   Is there someone you need to ask for their forgiveness?  This week, I pray that you will go out in the yard and pick up an apple and offer an apology to someone you may have hurt.  You don’t actually have to do that, but, just like Rugby, I pray that you will find your own way to say I’m sorry. 

THIS BLOG IS ENDING.  IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO FOLLOW ME AT MY NEW 4REAL MOMS BLOG, BLESSED IN THE MESS, CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment